Culpeper Youth Leadership Program
Culpeper Youth is a 501c3 Non Profit organization and a County Board of Supervisors initiative that provides opportunities for Culpeper teens to work and collaborate with local government and community leaders throughout the year and to be the voice of the youth community. The program includes the Youth Advisory Council and general membership, called Culpeper Youth, and is coordinated by the Culpeper Youth Coordinator, Jamie Clancey. Culpeper Youth’s Board of Directors serves as a mentor board and includes the following local leaders: Gary Deal, Member Board of Supervisors; Russell Houck, Executive Director of Student Services for CCPS; Rachel Carter, Member School Board; Michale Olinger, Town Mayor; Brandon Miles, local business owner; Sandy Boone, Wellspring; Dan Carlton, Pastor, Culpeper Baptist Church; and Adriana Del Rosario, Theatrical Arts.
Culpeper Youth is open to all students in grades 7-12 and is free to join.
Youth Advisory Council:
The Youth Advisory Council (YAC) is comprised of 7 student representatives and can attend any of the public or private high schools or be a part of the home school community. Initially, the YAC was appointed by the CY steering committee and now is elected by the body of Culpeper Youth. The Youth Advisory Council (YAC) is a group of motivated rising 11th and 12th grade teens who work together to raise awareness of the issues facing Culpeper youth. They serve as a liaison between the young community and local government and community leaders. The roles of the YAC include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Identifying the focus of Culpeper Youth (CY)
- Supporting CY to organize, plan, and conduct events around the focus
- Advocate for the youth community to local government officials
- Represent the community
- Mentored by local government officials and community leaders
- Mentoring of CY members
YAC facilitates monthly meetings of Culpeper Youth and monthly YAC meetings throughout the school year to plan and initiate community service activities and events that support the chosen focus of the YAC. Culpeper Youth members will have the opportunity to learn the processes of local government, economic development, and business. They have the opportunity to learn leadership skills through collaborating with community members, organizations, and each other to plan events and coordinate volunteer efforts. Past events planned and executed by Culpeper Youth include the following: Teen Talks, Candidates Forum, and Culpeper Youth Kick-off Event. Culpeper Youth has also partnered with Cintas, the Town of Culpeper, the Chamber of Commerce, and Culpeper Renaissance to provide shadowing opportunities to CY members to introduce the students to various employment opportunities within our community.
Culpeper Youth and the YAC:
Culpeper Youth, comprised of any upcoming Culpeper 7th-12th graders, and the YAC shall support the program through fundraising, volunteer engagement, and building community awareness through establishing community relationships and connections. Each year YAC and Culpeper Youth will have the opportunity to speak to the Board of Supervisors, Town Council, School Board, Chamber of Commerce, and Business Leaders within the community. The group will have the ability to provide insight on the issues they feel are most pressing for youth, and give our youth a voice in the community.
Culpeper Youth’s Community Involvement:
- Continually volunteering at Culpeper Renaissance’s 3rd Thursday Concerts
- Volunteered at SAFE helping to bag hygiene supplies for the 2018 Survivor’s Day, at which we also had volunteers
- Volunteered at the “Net a Buck” fundraiser for the Bright Spot Inclusive Playground
- Volunteered at the Lake Pelham Adventures ribbon cutting event hosted by the Town of Culpeper and the Ol Country Store
- Partnered with the Town of Culpeper and CIntas to provide opportunities to CY members for job shadowing
- Partnered with the Culpeper Chamber of Commerce to launch a youth focused communications plan
- Weekly Culpeper Youth spotlight in the Culpeper Times
- Volunteered at the 2017 Culpeper Fiesta and will do so again in 2018
Found & Sons
CAYA (Come As You Are)
Apply to Culpeper Youth